Dengue fever is caused by a virus; there is no specific medicine or antibiotic to treat it. There is currently no vaccine available for dengue fever.
Voiding of mosquitoes breeding places
1. Cover water containers -Tight covers on water storage containers will prevent the mosquitoes laying their eggs there. If the cover is loose, mosquitoes can go in and out.
2. Septic tanks and soak-away pits -Cover and seal these, so that dengue mosquitoes cannot breed there.
3. Removal of rubbish -Garbage articles and other rubbish found around houses can collect rainwater. They should be removed or smashed and buried in the ground or burned, where this is permissible.
4. Biological control -Mosquito wigglers can be controlled by small larva-eating fish, such as guppies. These fish can be found in streams or ponds or obtained through pet shops. Bacterial pesticides will also kill mosquito wigglers.
5. Chemical control -Safe and easily used larvicides such as temephos sand core granules can be placed in water containers to kill developing wigglers.
Prevent mosquitoe bites
6. Mosquito coils and electric vapour mats -Slow burning mosquito coils or electric vapour mats are effective in the rainy season, just after sunrise and/or in the afternoon hours before sunset, when dengue mosquitoes bite.
7. Mosquito nets -Nets placed over sleeping places can protect small children and others who may rest during the day. Curtains (cloth or bamboo) can also be treated with insecticide and hung at windows or doorways, to repel or kill mosquitoes.
8. Repellents -Mosquitoes repellents can be applied to exposed parts of the body where mosquitoes bite. Care should be taken in using repellents on small children and the elderly.
9. Screens -Screens on windows and doorways are effective protection against the entry of mosquitoes in homes.
10. Protection of people sick with dengue -Mosquitoes become infected when they bite people who are sick with dengue. Mosquito nets and mosquito coils will effectively prevent mosquitoes from biting sick people and help stop the spread of dengue.